Photo credit: Getty Images
Eddie Van Halen turned 63 today. Dave Basner at Sixx Sense has compiled a list of 25 things you didn’t know about Eddie Van Halen…probably.
1. Eddie’s parents named him after composer Ludwig van Beethoven, giving him the middle name Lodewijk, which is the Dutch equivalent of Ludwig.
2. When he was 7, Eddie’s family moved to Pasadena, California.
3. Growing up, Eddie and his brother Alex took piano lessons from an elderly man who lived an hour away. They hated the commute but their mom would discipline them if they didn’t go.
4. Eddie was actually never able to read music and learned it just by watching and listening.
5. In 1967, Van Halen won first place in an annual piano competition at Long Beach City College. The judges appreciated his interpretation of the classical piece he played but that upset Eddie, who had thought he played it perfectly.
Read the rest of the list here: [25 Things You Might Not KNow About Birthday Boy Eddie Van Halen]